Visiting your hygienist routinely is one of the most important ways to prevent cavities and protect your smile, but you also need strong habits at home to achieve optimal oral health. Use these tips to make sure your mouth is strong and healthy for many years to come.
Using the right brushing techniques helps you work smarter, not harder, during your daily care routine.
- Hold brush at a 45 degree angle to the gums
- Gently brush in small, circular motions
- Brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of every tooth
- Use the top tip of toothbrush to clean the inside of the front teeth
Flossing is so important because it’s the only way to scrape away the bacteria lurking between your teeth. Plaque loves to accumulate in those dark crevices, and only the action of flossing can reach into those tight spaces and remove plaque, bacteria, sugar, and acids.
If you’re not comfortable using conventional string floss, explore different options like interdental brushes, hand-held floss picks, and water flossers.
Choose Mouth-Friendly Foods
The right diet can even encourage your teeth and gums to remain as healthy as possible. Do your best to avoid carbohydrates and sugars, and instead eat more of the following smile-friendly food choices:
- Foods rich in vitamins C and D: bell peppers, oranges, broccoli, berries, fish, and eggs
- Foods rich in calcium and phosphorus: milk, cheese, yogurt, almonds, and lean red meat
- Foods with high water content: carrots, cucumbers, apples, and celery
Drink More Water
One of the simplest and most powerful changes you can make in your daily routine is to swap soda and juice for water.
Water helps to wash food debris and bacteria off your teeth after meals and snacks. It also reduces dry mouth, keeps your breath fresh, and eliminates the sugar hiding in the deep, dark crevices of your mouth. All of this adds up to fewer cavities and a happier smile!
For more help protecting your beautiful smile, call Piper Family Dentistry in Largo, Florida at (727)548-7100. Our team is here to address your individual dental concerns and provide exceptional, long-lasting care.
Piper Family Dentistry